8.05.2009

Tuscan Inspired Veggie Broth :)


I ran out of vegetable broth JUST in time to get ready to make 40 servings of risotto :(. Needless to say, I was a bit stressed out- then I thought... "you can make this..."
I ended up coming up with something delicious and with MUCH less sodium than the usual store brands...

Servings: 8-9 Cups

BIG POT of water (about 8 cups!)
4 Whole Carrots
1 Red onion, quartered
1 White onion, quartered
4 Cloves Garlic (lightly smashed as to release more oils)
4 Stalks of Celery
1 Lemon, juiced and halved in water
1 tsp of Celery Salt (for extra flaaavor!)
1 tbl Sea Salt
1 tbl freshly ground black pepper (or if this is too much, just to taste)

1 package of fresh Herbs de Provence (I always keep this around, I find it really handy, but if you do not have it a mixture of dried sage, thyme, rosemary, and oregano really any Mediterranean herbs will do!)

None of these herbs are really necessary, but I thought it would be a lovely light and summery version of a usually boring and quite salty veggie stock!

Makes about 8-10 cups.

No comments: